Sunday, February 28, 2010

chicken day

How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings...

Today was full of chickens. One of the the first things I did this morning was hang my laundry on the line surrounded by a ring of curious hens (who then all trotted off to peck on the wall of the shed for reasons I don't understand).

Later I went down to Malibu to check out the Getty Villa, and this was my favorite piece:

A little terra cotta statuette of a woman feeding a hen, who has chicks under her wings.

And then of course the gospel reading for tonight's service was Luke 13:31-35, which includes the verse about Jesus wanting to gather Jerusalem's children like a hen gathers her chicks. So Emily and Molly colored pictures of chickens...

...and Anna painted this on a receiving blanket (symbolic of the warmth and security provided by the hen)


How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings...

No comments:

Post a Comment